Spending five months paper-chasing my way through various government offices was almost enough to dampen my enthusiasm for parenthood. Fortunately, once my dossier was signed, sealed, and ready to send to China, my mother and sister thought of the perfect way to inject a little fun into the long wait for a referral—an adoption shower. As we soon discovered, planning it isn’t quite the same thing as planning a traditional baby shower. >>>
Welcome Home Celebrations
- Special DeliveryFamilies who’ve waited so long for a child are eager to share the news. But some may have to wait. by Julie Michaels
- Share Your Story: How did you welcome your child into your family?We asked our readers: "What did you do to welcome your child into your family?" Here are some of the letters we received!
Routines and Rituals
- The Ties That BindRituals are the glue that binds a family together.
- Establishing a RoutineWhen it comes to easing your baby’s transition to your home, consistency is key. By Bonnie Perkel
- Share Your Story: Holiday RitualsWe asked the Adoptive Families Reader Panel: How do you integrate your child's culture of origin and/or adoption story into your family's holiday rituals?
Lifebooks and Scrapbooks
- Adoption Scrapbooks Made EasyCreating a keepsake scrapbook for your child may seem daunting. But with these strategies, you can fashion a memento your entire family will cherish for years.
- Your Baby's Memory BookCreate a simple story for your young child to learn and grow with. By Carrie Krueger
- A Link to the PastAn adoption scrapbook lets parents and children create a sense of history and of belonging. By Myra Alperson
Read more great articles like this at Adoptive Families magazine. Subscribe online and receive a free gift!